Simple floppy install

Jonathan hutchins at opus1.com
Sun May 13 02:44:12 CDT 2001

I'm looking for a floppy disk distribution of linux that can quickly and
easily be installed onto a hard disk and become a very basic OS for a HD
based PC.

I have a number of Compaq P120 machines with 1.2g Hard Drives that I need to
"decommission", removing any licensed operating system and any data from
their hard drives.

So far, I can boot to a floppy with 'tomsrtbt' linux, and at least reformat
the DOS partition of these machines.  I would like to leave them boot-able,
preferably with some form of Linux, but I don't have NIC's for them, they
don't have CD's, and I don't want to spend a lot of time on this process.

Ideally, I want to create a floppy that, with minimal confirmation, will
boot, kill any DOS partitions on a machine, and install as much LINUX as can
be contained on a 1.44M floppy.  This should be a process that can be
carried out by the little sister of your slightly dull friend.

Anybody who has suggestions is welcome.

I have ~30 of these machines right now, most have 16M of RAM.  Suggestions
for their use/disposal are also welcome.