Remote X through a proxy

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Wed Feb 21 16:13:33 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Tony Hammitt wrote:

> SSH is made for things like this.  You set up the SSH login, then run the SSH
> agent script (a bit fuzzy on the details here, but the SSH manpages are pretty
> good) and then all of your communications go over the SSH tunnel, so only
> one port needs to be opened.  This of course assumes that SSH will run on
> windows2000, which it may not.  I don't know.  If you were running Linux
> as your desktop, you'd be all set (couldn't resist the jab, sorry :-)

A list of Windows ssh clients can be found at
http://www.freessh.org/windows.html.  I've had good luck with the
SecureCRT and TTSSH clients on Windows, but I've never tried to tunnel X
on them.

Actually, it looks like the ssh client that comes with Cygwin works.  I
just opened a Cygwin shell, defined DISPLAY, and ran 'ssh -o
ForwardX11=yes <host>'.  It appears to have set up the tunnel correctly. I
don't have an X server installed on my NT box, so I can't test any
further.  Cygwin can be found at http://www.cygwin.com/.