chuckx@cold-sun.com: Re: New Kernel problem

Charles K . Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Fri Apr 27 05:09:50 CDT 2001

(I apologize in advance if this get's posted twice, but I don't think I
sent it to the mailing list the first time (just to Brian))

Here's some solutions to your problems...

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:36:27 Brian Densmore wrote:
> OK, I compiled the 2.4.3 kernel this morning. I used the new "built-in"
> (whatever that means) ipchains type stuff, I didn't include the "old"
> ipchains and ipfwadmin in the kernel. When the machine boots the personal
> "firewall" (SuSE, software only), it tells me it can't run ipchains.

What changed between 2.2 and 2.4 was the kernel-level packet filtering
code. The new code is referred to as 'Netfilter'. Along with Netfilter is a
new user-space tool called 'iptables' to control the filtering rules, which
is a replacement for ipchains. However, within the kernel are modules for
backwards compatibility with ipchains or ipfwadmin. What you need to do is
compile support for ipchains backwards compatibilty. If you have that
module loaded, you'll be able to use your ipchains-based firewall script.

> The big problem here is now the pppd dies whenever I try to dial
> out.
> I have ppp built into the kernel!? What am I doing wrong? Anyone using
> 2.4.3?

I too had problems with pppd dying on me after switching to 2.4.  First of
all, you want to check and make sure you're using a recent enough version
of pppd (check <2.4source>/Documentation/changes for the specific version
you need to be at).  Once you're up to date, you may want to try compiling
all the ppp related functions as modules and testing pppd with various
combinations of the modules loaded.  If I remember correctly, you need to
have the 'PPP support for async serial ports' compiled and loaded to be
able to use the modem with pppd.

Hope that helps.

--Charles K. Lee II