LCA Certification

Rohde, Drew drohde01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 25 14:44:00 CDT 2001

This happens to be a hot button for me, so please forgive the long response.
;-)

I have done most of the popular certifications and it has been good for my
career.  Not for current employers, but as a tool for verifying my
background by those considering me for the next jobs.  That is why I always
recommend going though a structured process in learning a technology.

If you are already into the process, definitely complete it.

I don't think there will be a saturation of Linux certified administrators
any time soon.  The CNE and MCSE floods caused the certs to be almost a
minimum requirement when evaluating resumes, similar to the college degree.
Having it is always better than not having it.

I don't believe that the cert ALONE means a candidate is the expert and can
immediately hit the ground running in a new job over someone with solid
experience.  The knowledge from the cert can be applied to the specific job
and the candidate has the base knowledge to learn quickly from the
experienced people and have a perspective to contribute.

The value of the cert is two-fold.
1. It is an easily verifyable, and consistently applied evaluation of what a
person has learned.  Everyone in computers knows that MCSE is Microsoft's
main cert, and can look up what it covers and that exams verify an overall
knowledge.

2. The person who has achieved the cert has invested a significant amount of
personal time and money in study and practice to earn this cert, above and
beyond what is required by his employer or current job.  This says something
about the person's initiative and taking responsibility for their career.
Definitely attractive attributes for a new hire.

I continue to do the classes and certs because, aside from the career
advancement, I believe it is the best way to ensure that my time and efforts
are in line with the industry and employer recognition.

Drew