The X Window System: A Site for Sore Eyes

Ed Allen eallen at kc.rr.com
Sat Apr 21 19:45:16 CDT 2001

Making fonts better is one step and the distros have helped
by including 'xfs' as a part of their default setups.

The fonts in Netscape are still not "there" so this page wants
to address that.

   http://fox.mit.edu/skunk/xwin/

Get and install the RPM or the tar.gz of the Mozilla fonts.

After you include the fonts you might want to customize how Netscape
comes up.

I do not like buttons I do not use cluttering up the bars across the
top of Netscape, the 'SHOP' and 'SEARCH' buttons for example, so I turn
them off using these lines in a .Xdefaults file in my login directory:

!   disables the Search button
Netscape*toolBar.search.isEnabled: false
!   disables the Destinations button
Netscape*toolBar.destinations.isEnabled: false
!   disables the Shop button
Netscape*toolBar.myshopping.isEnabled: false
!   disables the Security button
Netscape*toolBar.viewSecurity.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.print.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.home.isEnabled: true
Netscape*useStdoutDialog: false
Netscape*useStderrDialog: false
Netscape*noAboutSplash: true
Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement: 10

After making changes to the .Xdefaults file the changes can be effective
immediately by using the command 'xrdb  .Xdefaults' to reread the file
and
install the changes into a running instance of X.

I find his 'fonttest' page helpful:

   http://fox.mit.edu/skunk/xwin/fonttest.html

and this one:

   http://www.hazalthorn.freeserve.co.uk/fonttest.html

This page will improve your web browsing by providing a font you do
have when a Microsoft-only one is requested:

   http://www.hazalthorn.freeserve.co.uk/TrueType.html

His 'font.alias.v46' seems to work with the standard 'xfs' setup from
RedHat.
I have not had time to try it with others but I do not forsee any
troubles.

For more generic info about X fonts:

   http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/fonts/X-Window-System-fonts.html

   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/fonts-faq/part1/