New (BIG) hard drive - how to move?

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Mon Apr 9 19:17:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Brian Densmore wrote:

> Don't you need to make sure that the kernel is in the same partition?

If your system is spread over multiple partitions, (does Mandrake do this
by "default"?  I don't know...) you need to copy all of your partitions
this way.  I seem to recall that RedHat 7.0 likes to put the whole system
on one partition and I was assuming Mandrake 7.0 might be the same.

> Does
> cpio take care of the partition table?

No.  That's why I said that the cpio instructions assume that you've
already formatted your new drive.  Something like dd if=/dev/hda
of=/dev/hdb might take care of the partition table.  But then, if you like
the current size of your drive and partitions, why change?

>I would have thought you want to
> duplicate the partition table scheme, at least as to what mount point is on
> what partition (sizes of course are irrelevant as long as they are big
> enough to support what was in each partition before).

Yes, you would.  I also didn't mention how to create and format a swap
partition, but the url I provided to the Hard-Disk-Upgrade mini HOWTO
does.

Regards,

-Don
--