New (BIG) hard drive - how to move?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 9 13:52:03 CDT 2001

Don't you need to make sure that the kernel is in the same partition? Does
cpio take care of the partition table? I would have thought you want to
duplicate the partition table scheme, at least as to what mount point is on
what partition (sizes of course are irrelevant as long as they are big
enough to support what was in each partition before).

> >limited space.  Well, I finally picked up a decent sized drive, now I
> >want to;
> >
> >- move/copy everything from one to the other,
> >- remove the original
> >- be able to boot from the new.

> Copy entire filesystem
>

> When copying the entire root filesystem to another partition it is
> important to preserve all file permissions and ownership thus
> use "cpio",
>
> These instructions make assumptions about your system that may be
> incorrect.

Brian