debian

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Mon Apr 2 14:33:02 CDT 2001

Adding weight to the Debian is solid thread:

KCLUG has been running on Debian since day one.  Debian was 1.2 then, we're at 2.2 now.  Upgrading
has been a dream!  This OS has been working rock solid and
the dselect depending/conflict resolution manager, in my opinion, makes it a
simple, superior tool in managing software installation.  The Debian guys are
looking specifically at two goals when releasing software.  First they want to
provide a distribution free from the pitfalls of "unfree" software (stuff that
isn't GPLed) and second, they want to provide a highly reliable distribution
that has the least amount of bugs.  That'd rather fix bugs in existing versions
before moving onto the latest and greatest version often times.  This gives
Debian the stability that I require for my server.  Listening to Bruce Perens
(from Pixar, Debian guru) speak was enough to convince me this should be my
only distribution -- I haven't regretted it yet.

	Mike Neuliep