Replacing Hard Drive

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Sep 27 18:48:47 CDT 2000

Gene,

Replacing to do impending failure?  If you can install
the new drive alongside the old one, then you should be
able to use cpio to copy everything.  First to a mkfs on
the new drive, then mount the new drive somewhere, say,
/Disk.  Then use find+cpio to copy all files from / to
/Disk.  Be sure to use all cpio options that preserve
owner, mode, and all date/time's.  Also be sure that you
don't try to copy the /Disk directory into /Disk/Disk.

Some examples from the HP/UX "find" man.

      Copy the entire file system to a disk mounted on /Disk, avoiding the
      recursive copy problem.  Both commands are equivalent (note the use of
      -path instead of -name):

           cd /; find . ! -path ./Disk -only -print | cpio -pdxm /Disk
           cd /; find . -path ./Disk -prune -o -print | cpio -pdxm /Disk

      Copy the root disk to a disk mounted on /Disk, skipping all mounted
      file systems below /.  Note that -xdev does not cause / to be skipped,
      even though it is a mount point.  This is because / is the starting
      point and -xdev only affects entries below starting points.

           cd /;  find . -xdev -print | cpio -pdxm /Disk

I _think_ that these are equivalent if your entire system is on one drive.
I don't have a Linux box handy, but this should work, with these or similiar

options.

Good luck,
Hal
H:hald at sound.net
W:hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com

on Wednesday, September 27, 2000 at 12:23 PM