Broadband

phase at booyaka.com phase at booyaka.com
Tue Sep 26 02:29:26 CDT 2000

I finally broke down and ordered broadband today.  For a few months, I
have envied a friend's DSL service, but I didn't want to order it
because SWBell's $40/month deal requires a one year committment.  I
wasn't down with that because I plan to move in less than a year.  When
I called SWBell to inquire about month-to-month service, they told me it
was $59.99/month plus $199 for equipment.  Forget that.

Fortunately for me, Time Warner is offering Road Runner on a
month-to-month basis, for $40/month (with cable TV, which I already
have).  That price includes rental of the cable modem, and there is no
installation fee.  A TW tech will be coming to my house later this week
to run a cable to my computer and make sure the modem lights up.  They
will leave me an installation CD with software for Win98.

While I do have a Win98 partition, I probably won't bother to install
the service under Windows, unless I absolutely have to.  Will someone
with first-hand experience let me know how to get Road Runner running
under Linux?  I already have an NIC installed and working, so will it be
as simple as running dhcpcd (as the Cable Modem HOWTO indicates)?  Or
will I need to use the rrlogind session management software (described
at http://www.vortech.net/rrlinux/rrlogind.htm)?

I know this has been discussed on the list more than once, so allow me
to apologize to those easily annoyed by recurring threads.  Up until now
I didn't pay any attention.

Now to spend some time securing my box...

phase