What's the opposite of a cat?

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Tue Sep 26 02:23:45 CDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:37:49 -0500 Tony Hammitt <thammitt at kc.rr.com>
writes:
> I think that we need to modify the encoder so we can use different
> xor characters, that way we could encrypt in other ways than the
> one the cuecat uses.

  That's simple enough.  Just change that "C" to something else.  Passing
such as a parameter to a perl script with -n passed to the interpreter is
tricky business, though.  The -n switch tells it to open each parm after
the script name as a file , and process each line thereof.

  IOW, typing

        tac  --xor=Q

would cause the interpreter to try to find a file named --xor=Q, open it,
and feed its contents to the script.  Not what you wanted.  The answer,
then, is to use the fact that tac is only using the first three words of
a line anyway, and get the xor value from the fourth "word" on each input
line.

  [playing with perl]

  That doesn't seem to work, either.  For reasons I don't begin to
understand, adding a fourth word makes Strange Things happen to the first
word.   I'll have to figure out another way to do it.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.