What's the opposite of a cat?

Randy Rathbun randy at randyrathbun.org
Tue Sep 26 01:33:41 CDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Tony Hammitt wrote:

> I think that we need to modify the encoder so we can use different
> xor characters, that way we could encrypt in other ways than the
> one the cuecat uses.

Exactly - however... since the CC sends the output just like you typed it,
there is no reason to encode it, that I can see. Also, a problem with
doing this is the serial number of CC. If you are not using *that* unit,
the barcode pass won't work, nor will it work if I do my handy dandy
serial number removal process on it, since all that will show up are
random digits. Therefore, something needs to be written that will strip
out the serial number and barcode type and just pass the barcode
numbers. If memory serves me correctly, the most digits that will be
passed is 12 - based on whatever the barcode is that UPS uses. Check the
docs from the drivers at oss.lineo.com - he has it detailed there.

> What the hell, if M$ can do it, so can the free software community.

Heh. I have thought about that too - but isn't that being rather
scummy? Granted, I love doing things that annoy mega-corp....

> We amateur subversives need to become more professional about it.
> Our communtiies far outnumber the people in power over the destruction
> of personal rights and freedom like M$, RIAA and the MPAA.

Fight the power! Oh, and if anyone is wondering, the DeCSS shirts that
Copyleft has are cool. And yes, it is the source. I compared them to the
code I got last year.

--

Randy Rathbun
randy at randyrathbun.org
http://randyrathbun.org  - Personal stuff
http://quitequitefantastic.org  - Nerd News!
I refuse to participate in HackSDMI.
      See http://www.eff.org/pub/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/current.html

A doctor has a stethoscope up to a man's chest. The man asks "Doc, how do I
stand?" The doctor says "That's what puzzles me!"
     -Henny Youngman