What's the opposite of a cat?

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Mon Sep 25 15:03:53 CDT 2000

Brian,

Yes people can encrypt their mail.  There is even a pgp plug-in for pine.
The thing that makes it difficult for absolute privacy from Carnivore or other
unwanted, intrusive police state kind of sniffers is that they know with whom
you are communicating even though the message is encrypted.  Lately in our
court rooms, we tend to see a lot of guilt by association, especially in
"computer crime"

The FBI has read my e-mail in the past when I was a student as Univ of Illinois.
They were particularly interested in abermud (no joke!!) and wanted to know
all about it.  How lame.  They were investigating a guy who supposedly broke
into a box out east who, at the time, liked to play abermud.  This guy e-mailed
me with a list of mud sites running at the time.

Even if that message had been encrypted, I probably would have received even
more scrutiny from the FBI back then.  After all, the government will contend
that a good, law abiding citizen has nothing to hide and if you do fight for
your privacy rights, you must be a subversive.

Linux can play a large part in protecting people's privacy.  There aren't any
back doors like in Microsoft's products.

Just my two cents worth on this issue.

	Mike Neuliep
	mike at illiana.net