Cable Modem Setup - Can't seem to get a connection

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Thu Sep 21 19:03:24 CDT 2000

Did you get this working?  I am now in the same boat.  I got Comcast cable
yesterday.  I had them install it to the one machine I had running after
moving a few weeks ago (I'm still trying to find all the cables to my other
computers in some box somewhere).  This one PC is a Windows 98 PC.  Yuk.  So
of course the first thing I did after surfing a bit was to look at the
network settings.  Weird is all I can describe it as.  It looked like it was
set up for an ISDN line with a VPN.  Huh?  They had a NDISWAN protocol
loaded and a VPN Adapter and an entry for TCP/IP bound to VPN and the NDIS.
It also looked like it was set up to broadcast all the time.  I tried
putting in the static IP on the form and turning off DHCP, that didn't work.
So I switched it back.  It worked.  I tried to set it like I do at work for
DHCP and it deleted the VPN and NDISWAN.  Hosed....  Then I looked for the
reinstall disk and it appears they didn't give me one.  Hmmm.  Tech support.

Any ideas how I'll get DHCP on one of the NICs in my firewall once I find
the cords?  I'll look for howtos on cable and Linux for now.