Randy's Stupid Question of the day

richj at northcs.com richj at northcs.com
Fri Sep 8 16:26:31 CDT 2000

Your reply:

 >>From owner-kclug at illiana.net  Fri Sep  8 10:15:27 2000
 >>From: "Duston, Hal" <hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com>
 >>To: "'kclug at kclug.org'" <kclug at kclug.org>
 >>Subject: RE: kclug - Randy's Stupid Question of the day
 >>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:12:13 -0500
 >>
 >>Randy,
 >>
 >>The bits that are ON in the umask are turned OFF when a file
 >>is created.  So if you want to create rwxr-xr-x, you need a
 >>umask of 022, and then manually set the file to +x.
 >>
 >>>From the HP/UX manpage:
 >>When a new file is created (see creat(2)), each bit that is set
 >>in the file mode creation mask causes the corresponding
 >>permission bit in the the file mode to be cleared (disabled).
 >>Conversely, bits that are clear in the mask allow the
 >>corresponding file mode bits to be enabled in newly created
 >>files.
 >>
 >>For example, the mask u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx (022) disables group and
 >>other write permissions.  As a result, files normally created
 >>with a file mode shown by the ls -l command as -rwxrwxrwx (777)
 >>become mode -rwxr-xr-x (755); while files created with file mode
 >>-rw-rw-rw- (666) become mode -rw-r--r-- (644).
 >>
 >>Note that the file creation mode mask does not affect the
 >>set-user-id, set-group-id, or "sticky" bits.
 >>
 >>I am not sure how to get the execute bits to be on by default...

Good answer, assuming he knows how to talk octal and doesn't
think 022 is a decimal number.

For a normal file, there would be no need to have the
execute(x) bit turned on. Has a diffent meaning altogether
when dealing with directories, but believe his original
question related to files.

Richard Johnson