Philips IDE CDRW

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Wed Sep 6 04:57:44 CDT 2000

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:09:33 -0500 Forrest Dickinson
<fdickinson at morganhunter.com> writes:

> I have a Philips IDE CDRW and I can not get it to work under Linux.
> Will an IDE CDRW work with Linux?  My distribution is Redhat 6.1.

Yes, but you need to tell the kernel not to use it as and IDE CD drive
(which it will try to do by default).  Pass the parameter hdx=ide-scsi,
where "x" is the CD drive in question (I use hdc, because the
manufacturer recommended making the burner a master device).  Depending
on the distro, you might need to tweak some modules (I don't remember
having to do this with Mandrake, YMMV).

Then you'll need to

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrw

or whatever to make a meaningful name for the drive.  If it's your only
CD drive, of course, make that /dev/cdrom.