Mandrake killed Windows

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 01:36:47 CDT 2000

Eeek, sorry to hear that.  I feel partially responsible since I gave you
the disk...

What is the state of the hard drive now?  Does it have multiple partitions?
Are there ones big enough to put windows into along with a Linux distro?

If there is still the option of changing the partitions, I'd recommend
making a big primary partition for windows and leaving an extended one for
Linux's parts.  Possibly something like the following (adapted from my 8GB
ide disk):

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1046 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1        26    208813+  83  Linux          # Linux /boot
/dev/hda2            27       512   3895762  <win32 partition>
/dev/hda2           513      1046   4281322    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           513       537    192780   83  Linux          # /
/dev/hda6           538       560    176715   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7           561       888   2626627   83  Linux          # /usr
/dev/hda8           889      1046   1261102   83  Linux          # /home

It is possible to do this partitioning and then install your OSs.  I'd
install windows first, let it take over the MBR and use a boot floppy for
Linux.  Windows doesn't play well with other OSs.  Other people could
probably give better advice since I haven't dual booted since 1995.

Make sure that no matter how you end up, you keep a hardcopy of the
partition map.  If you want to bring the machine to tomorrow's meeting
(geez, we have you running boxen al over town, don't we..) we'd be glad
to help out.

Regards,

Tony Hammitt