Linux certification

Walter Dunz Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Fri Sep 1 05:58:01 CDT 2000

Well, here is some info I just got that may be of interest:

   Subject:  FYI.  Red Hat / Linux Beta Test

   Dear Beta Testers,

   We will be beginning a beta test of 4 courses relating to the Red Hat /
   Linux Operating system.  These beta tests will be a bit shorter than our
   usual beta tests, lasting approximately  10 business days each.  Course
   names and descriptions are included at the end of this email.

   Beta Incentives and Expectations
   By participating in our beta test of this series of courses, you are
   eligible for our drawing of $350.00 per course.  One winner will be
selected
   from all those who complete the entire course, including all quizzes,
   exercises, and course surveys.  It is mandatory that all of these
conditions
   hold true in order for you to be eligible to participate in our drawing.
In
   addition, all those who complete the first course in this series will
   receive a Red Hat T-shirt, and those who complete the entire series ( all
4
   courses) will receive a Red Hat Denim shirt in addition to the T-shirt.

   *******************
   Beta Guidelines
   *******************
   Volunteering for this beta test allows you 10 business days to complete
each
   course for free.  During this time we ask that you submit feedback (either
   good or bad) by sending us your bug reports and completing two surveys
about
   the course.  The objective of these surveys is to get general comments
about
   your overall experience.   We highly recommend that you report bugs and/or
   issues as you find them as opposed to waiting until the last day.

   For those interested in enrolling in this beta, please follow the
   instructions listed below.

   1. Send an email to betasignup at digitalthink.com
   2. Include the course number
   3. Include the course name
   4. Include your email address
   5. Include your first/last name
   6. Include "I have reviewed and meet the prerequisites for this beta"

   Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.  We look
   forward to receiving your feedback about the course.

   RH133: Red Hat Linux System Administration
   133 series courses: ux102, ux202, ux302, ux402

   Series Description
   The RH133 series prepares users of Linux (or UNIX) for system
administration
   of a Red Hat Linux machine with multiple users, file sharing schemas, and
   security concerns. As a result of completing the  133 series, students
will
   be able to install, configure, and connect a new Red Hat Linux workstation
   to an existing network. RH133 courses introduce the following concepts:
        Daemon management
        Kernel re-compilation
        File and process security
        Red Hat Linux installation
        X Configuration
        Network configuration
        Network security

   Series Objectives
   With successful completion of the 133 series, students will have mastered
   the following skills:
        Create and maintain the Linux file system
        Perform user and group administration
        Control common system hardware
        Integrate a workstation with an existing network running common
   network services
        Configure a NIS client and DHCP client
        Configure NFS and SMB/Samba for the client
        Configure X, Gnome, and KDE
        Perform basic performance, memory, and process management
        Perform basic troubleshooting
        Configure basic host security

   Prerequisites:
   In order to complete the RH133 series successfully, students should be
able
   to do the following:
        Install Red Hat Linux on standard and non-standard hardware
        Navigate and use the Linux file system
        Perform common file maintenance tasks
        Use and customize the GNOME interface
        Issue essential Linux commands from the command line
        Perform common tasks using the GNOME GUI
        Open, edit, and save text documents using the vi editor
        Explain and implement file and directory access permissions
        Launch applications from the command line and GNOME interface
        Use printing commands and utilities
        Customize the X Window System
        Copy files to and from a floppy diskette
        Install, upgrade, delete, and query packages on the system

   Digital Think has developed this Web-based series from the instructor-led
   Red Hat Linux Certification series: RH133 parts I, II, III and IV.  This
   series is one of three designed to prepare students for the RH300
   certification exam.  Web-based versions of series RH033 and RH253 are
   currently in development.

   Course descriptions for the Web-based RH133 series follow.

   ux102: Red Hat Linux System Administration I(a)
   Estimated course length: __8-10___ hours

   Course Dates - 8/29-9/12

   Course Description:
   UX102 walks a student through Red Hat Linux installation and hardware
   planning, system updates, printer configuration, filesystems, and user
   management.

   Course project:
   Students will work through a series of project exercises in which they add
5
   users to their Linux computer, one of which only needs email access. They
   will use the setquota and edquota as commands to give each of these users
   quota.  Next, they'll create a group and setgroup directory for a subset
of
   all users and add the group id to the group specification of those users.

   ux202: Red Hat Linux System Administration I(b)
   Estimated course length: _8-10____ hours

   Course Dates - 9/7-9/20

   Course Description:
   UX202 covers X and Desktop configuration, networking configuration, and
   troubleshooting.  It also covers the Network Information Service, as well
as
   the Network File System.  Finally, students learn about process control
and
   scheduling, as well as system run-level control.

   Course project:
   Students will work through a series of project exercises in which they
   configure a machine to run with 3 Ethernet cards. They'll configure
   /etc/conf.modules to alias the correct ethX designation to a kernel
module,
   correctly specify a gateway in /etc/sysconfig/network, and supply three
   correct ifcfg-ethX files. Next, they'll set up fstab to allow user mounts
of
   a remote NFS share. Finally, they'll use cron to schedule the automatic
   "showmounting'' of the remote nfs server to occur at 20-minute intervals
   every Tuesday and Friday.

   ux302: Red Hat Linux System Administration II(a)
   Estimated course length: _8-10____ hours

   Course Dates - 9/14-9/27

   Course Description:
   UX302 covers kernel recompilation and installation, as well as back-up
   procedures and RAID file configuration.  The course also covers partition
   planning and system logging.  The course concludes with a discussion of
   troubleshooting and rescue procedures and host security.

   Course project
   Students will work through a series of project exercises in which they set
   up of a new machine with three kinds of data:  not important (system
files),
   very important (raid 1 or 5), and temporary with huge growth potential.
The
   students' task is to plan a partitioning strategy, complete with RAID and
   other filesystem separations. In addition, students will enable
(sys)logging
   of *.debug to /var/log/debug and remote logging to another server of what
   would otherwise go to /var/log/secure.

   ux402: Red Hat Linux System Administration II(b)
   Estimated course length: _8-10____ hours

   Course Dates - To Be Announced

   Course Description:
   UX402 starts with a small networking review, then covers NFS file serving,
   and Samba print and filesharing.  It concludes with a discussion of
   procmail.

   Course project
   Students will work through a series of project exercises in which they
   install and configure an NFS server to share certain directories with
three
   different subnets.  Each share should have different options associated
with
   it, such as read only, read/write, and unsecure. For example, machines on
   subnet 192.168.3.x need only read access to /data; systems on subnet
   192.168.6.x need read/write access; users on 192.168.9.x need to be able
   perform a user mount of /data, without having the remote root password.

   Lastly, students will install and enable the Samba sharing of users' files
   to all current system users. They'll also enable encrypted password
   authorization.

   1. Send an email to quality at digitalthink.com
   2. Include the course number