another newbie question

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Tue Oct 24 03:20:46 CDT 2000

Well, maybe on a small and some midrange system, but for large systems,
striping accross controllers is a very common way to do things.

Hardware RAID may be more convenient to set up but how many people out
there have heard of a hardware RAID system quietly eating the hot-spare
drive while the sysadmins were somewhere else?  I know of at least three
instances of that happening, the results of which were pretty bad.

Once again, I feel that the situation has been confused by whatever
windoze has for a software raid driver.  Linux has something different,
it's integrated deeply within the kernel, has access to all of the system
resources and is very fast.  It can use multiple controllers, so if you
lose the controller, you're not down.  This is how the commercial UNIXes
do things, and it's nice to see Linux getting there, too.

A decent RAID controller is fine for a small system, but it's far too
much of the system depending one one part for any large system.  The
minor inconveneince of when a disk has to be replaced and synchronizing
takes a tiny bit more system resources is vastly outweighed by the
increase in performance of using the kernel's built-in multiple device
subsystem.  The 'software' raid system is an enterprise-level feature,
that a home user can also take advantage of.

If anyone is interesetd, I can give a little talk at the next meeting
about high availability meets high performance.  I think that it would
be fun.

Let me know,

Tony Hammitt

Grrr...  Stupid fingers..  I sent this to kcug.org the first time.  I
wonder what their opinion is...

--
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire