JOBOP -- Sprint Sysadmin Jobs

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Mon Oct 23 06:53:46 CDT 2000

There are two immediate openings (must be hired within 20 days) in my
group at Sprint Long Distance.  These are REAL sysadmin jobs working on
serious Sun and HP hardware running Solaris and HP/UX.  The job would be
very similar to what I work now, with flexible hours, fantastic benefits
(annual bonus, stock options, stock purchase, etc), and good pay.  You
would be expected to be part of a team, and would be expected to be
on-call for 24/7 periodically.

I know the manager very well, and he is a really cool guy, very fair, and
very understanding of a sysadmin's life.  This is an ideal situation for
anyone serious about being a sysadmin for a career.  This is not a
programmer's job.  You will not spend much time writing code other than
shell scripts.  You must be able to work with folks around the country
over the phone, work as part of a team, and work independently.

Note that you must be _hired_ within 20 days -- I don't think you need to
actually _start_, so if 20 days is too quick for you that might not be a
problem.  These positions must be filled or the headcount is lost.

You need to have experience with administrating Unix systems in a
professional capacity.  I'm attaching the job summary from HR.  There are
two positions, both are the same jobs on the same team.  I believe the
salary range is like $35k-$55k, depending on experience and so forth.
Don't quote me on that though.

If you are interested, and feel you can work as a professional sysadmin
working on mission-critical systems, please send me a resume VERY QUICKLY.
Like tomorrow.  Also, call me TOMORROW and talk to me about what you are
interested in.  We'll see if there's a match.  Do NOT call me after 8pm or
before 10am -- my number is 785-550-5689.

As far as resume formats go, I'm a Linux user.  You send me a Word
document, and it'll look ugly.  Real ugly.  Here are formats that will
look good:

HTML
PDF
PostScript
AbiWord format (.abw)

Thanks,
Jeffrey.

P.S.  Send me that resume ASAP.

Position Summary: 2 Positions

Responsible for the system mgmt of complex HP & SUN Unix platforms
networked between multiple data centers supporting critical LDD Network
elements & business systems. Duties include system performance tuning,
configuration mgmt, troubleshooting, problem reporting/resolution,
hardware/software installation & upgrades & system security. Perform
project planning, mgmt & coordinate implementation activities. Develop
procedures, documentation & training for 1st & 2nd level support
organizations. Must be able to work & function in a highly demanding fast
paced environment.

Knowledge/Skills:
Required:
	1. BS/CS or related technical discipline or equivalent work
	experience.
	2. 2 or more years of industry experience.
	3. Knowledge in TCP/IP, LAN/WAN, routers & switches.
	4. Must be available to work on a 24x7 basis.
Preferred:
	5. Project Mgmt exp.
	6. Excellent oral & written Communication skills.
	7. HP & SUN Unix Operating System exp.
	8. Exp in managing remote systems.
In Addition:
	9. May be filled one grade higher/lower based on exp.