another newbie question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Fri Oct 20 15:12:05 CDT 2000

If you think this is true about the hardware RAID then you haven't seen the
Adaptec 2100 Ultra 160 RAID with dual channel and up to 128MB of standard
SDRAM.  We are testing a couple here on a server that performs backup and an
SQL server.  Fast as snot.  It's great when money is no object on a project,
"Just make it fast."  Those servers got Dual PIII-850 on one and Dual 600 on
the other in a 2U rack case, server class board, nice AGP video and Seagate
Cheetah 18 and 36GB drives.  2GB of RAM on each.  Gods, that's a lot.  The
next generation of SQL server is going to get 4GB most likely.  I know
Sprint probably has stuff to blow this away, but for us it's fast.