no setup signature

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Fri Oct 20 13:57:02 CDT 2000

What steps did you take in installing the kernel?

Normally I'd do the following (assuming RedHat type setup):

Compile kernel and modules:

cd /<wherever you put linux>
make config
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

Install files where they're supposed to go:

make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.<whatever version>
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.<whatever version>

Relink System.map and vmlinuz:

cd /boot
rm System.map vmlinuz
ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.<whatever version> vmlinuz
ln -s /boot/System.map-2.2.<whatever version> System.map

Edit /etc/lilo.conf

vi /etc/lilo.conf ; add this to top of "image" stanzas:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.<whatever version>
        label=linux-2.2.<whatever version>
        initrd=<<whatever is listed in the other stanzas>>
        read-only
        root=/dev/<whatver, e.g: hda1>

change the 'default' line to whatever the new kernel is e.g:

default=linux-2.2.<whatever version>

exit the editor and run /sbin/lilo (do not forget this step!!)

Do not remove the lilo 'image' stanza that you booted from to get a
running system.  Do not remove any of the System.map or vmlinuz files,
just add new ones to /boot.  If you have to boot from an old kernel,
you will have to relink the old System.map file and reboot again
in order to get your modules to work properly.  Being able to
accurately predict the future would be really handy here since the
System.map file that is linked in /boot should always match the
running kernel at boot time...

I've started to switch my machines over to the GNU Grand Unified
Boot Loader (GRUB) instead of lilo since it has nicer features.
Considering that only half of my Linux boxes are Intel architecture,
it's not like I'm not used to having to use some other boot loaders.

The above procedure should usually work, as long as the kernel built
properly.

Hope this helps,

Tony Hammitt

--
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire