RedHat 7.0

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Tue Oct 17 16:54:21 CDT 2000

If you want to resolve the names in a small network you put the names and
matching IPs in /etc/hosts/ or in Windows land, the LMhosts file in the root
directory.  I have extra names on line one because I changed the name of the
box, or more appropriately, I gave it a name for others to see.  The Default
is just plain localhost.localdomain.  All the machines in the network here
are named and I was trying to pick something that fit the naming scheme and
would not be taken already.  We usually have a three or four letter location
abbreviation and the asset number of the PC.  Servers are given some funky
name like Gumby or Siberia.  If I wanted to enter every name I want to
resolve to in etc/hosts/ then I could do that, but I wanted to try to use
the DNS server in the network.  The name kcighost needs to be on the box so
it can identify itself to the network at the time it obtains a DHCP lease.

I was just looking at the Samba website and it doesn't seem to have anything
to do with my problem until I want to mount Windows shares or emulate a NT
PDC.  Soon, soon.  I think I will install VNC today on the Red Hat box today
and see how that is on Linux.  It works great on Windows.

This is taking too long to write.  Who cares what I'm doing to my box.  It's
torture test time.  Mail and Web access are working and that's all that
matters right now.

Later