street names

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Mon Nov 27 02:32:15 CST 2000

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:39:38 -0600 Kendric Beachey <ak at kc.rr.com> writes:

> stay on one
> single road from KC North to the Plaza, but its name will be US-169,
> Broadway,
> Penn Valley Drive, Broadway again, and finally JC Nichols Parkway.

  But that's not a straight street.  It changes names right where it
changes directions.  The only other thing that makes sense is to give any
non-straight street a unique name, lifting it out of the grid system
altogether.  I'm a Cartesian kinda guy, so I only want to do that with
really wacky things like Brookside Boulevard, that waggles east and west
of Main (and now is an extension thereof, right off the Plaza, now that I
think about it).

> If you hop
> over two blocks to find Broadway again instead of staying on JC
> Nichols
> Parkway, you'll find that a couple of blocks later it turns into
> Wornall.

  Broadway/Wornall is just one of Those Things, yep, a relic of the days
when separate communities congealed into larger cities.  At one point I
had figured out that Wornall was effectively South (of Westport / the
Plaza) Broadway, until I found a place that they run parallel, straddling
the rail line, for a few blocks in Waldo.

  [trying to figure out how to keep this on topic]

  Southwest Trafficway, through much of its length, carries an additional
sign indicating the original name of Summit.  On my box, /dev/cd is a
symlink to /dev/hdd.  Sometimes, one name makes more sense than the
other.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.