KC is best how it is now

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Nov 22 16:58:19 CST 2000

At 10:15 AM 11/22/00 -0600, you wrote:
>No argument there! I choose KC 9 years ago as a place to live, because I
>think it is in the top ten places to live. There is much that could be done
>to improve KC though, like a real Mass Transit System and some more
>technical seminars and conferences hosted here. Speaking of which, why don't
>we start planning on a conference or something here and see if we can't get
>some corporate sponsors to help out. It's about time to start working on KC
>LinuxFest 2001!
>
>IMHO,
>Brian

This stuff is way off topic of course . . . but what makes anyone think a
light rail or other system would make any difference in people's driving
habits.  Gas is going through the roof and yet people are still buying big
SUV's to commute daily in.  (As in one person on a 20+ mile trip.)  I know
there are people with valid needs for SUV's but for the price of some of
those behemoths, you could get a really small/fuel efficient car and then a
truck/van/etc... for the occasional hauling needs.   Does anyone ever
remember the old stationwagons -- 440 cubic inch engines, seating for 9?
There is already some mass-transit in KC -- the METRO buses.   I don't see
long lines for them.   There might be a change in the future, but I don't
think we'll see anyone abandoning the comfort and flexibility of a car soon.

-- Bradley Miller