Interesting problem -- whois lookups

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Thu Nov 16 20:52:54 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Bradley Miller wrote:

> I need to go back and verify all the domains that we have moved from one
> set of DNS servers to another.   I have over 114+ domains to do this for
> and I need a handy way to do a whois and report back just whether there is
> a nskc/nslake.accesszone.com for each domain.  I've tried something with
> Lynx, but I get weird results.  I use the -dump -nolist -nopause switches
> and I'm wanting to grep the result and pipe that into a file.  Any
> suggestions?

Is there any reason you can't use the vanilla command-line whois client?
Under Red Hat this is part of the 'fwhois' package.  If you need
information that the whois servers don't return anymore (e.g. the contact
info), you might take a look at the attached script.  It uses lynx to get
an old-style whois response from NSI's web site.

NSI also offers domain status reports at

http://www.networksolutions.com/makechanges/reports/

You can get a list of domains associated with a particular contact or host
handle mailed to you within a few days.