Dell Latitude LM

Tom Margrave TMargrav at harmonind.com
Thu Nov 2 16:21:57 CST 2000

This is a status and a cry for help.

Well my luck with installing at the Lug meeting is not great but enjoyable.   I have a Dell
Latitude LM w/ 16Meg 1.4G and tried to load RH 7.0 last night (11/1).  I will go over the history
as I can remember it.

Booted off of floppy to load RH.  System lock up at different points several times.  Tried turning
off power management no luck.

Tried to load Mandrake 7.2 .  It would load and it did not seam to lock up but it would not detect
my CD-ROM.  After several reboots and guess gave up on Mandrake.

Tried SUSE.  Did not lock up and did detect CD-ROM.  Started installing an ran out of time at the
library.

Went to Dennys after meeting and tried RH again and lock up.  Some one suggested to turn off the
touch pad in the BIOS and changed the CD-ROM from High Performance to Variable.   Seam to work and
did not lock up.  Turn off the system and went home.

Got home and started RH install again with a ps2 mouse connected on the back.  Started about 11:00
and went to bed.  Got up and found that the PC was at the spot to configure X.  Tried to configure
X and the system display went blank.  Re booted and got RH 7.0 Lilo boot up and I went into Linux
off of the HDD.  Got a terminal login screen.  Logged in as root and started X and the display when
south ( east, west, or north).  I could not change to another terminal.  Press CTRL-ALT-Del and it
re booted.

So  I am at the point to figure out what is wrong with X.  XConfigurer does find my Video Chip but
I have no clue for display.  Also I think it could be the mouse or some thing else.

Info about PC from Dell.
http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/pespmmx/specs.htm
http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/pespmmx/notes.htm

Any suggestion are welcome.