NIC Setup

Ben Webb brwebb at transmuto.com
Sun Jun 18 01:11:18 CDT 2000

Allen,

Ok, first, ignore everything that guy told you.  He was telling you how
to rebuild a kernel, and that is NOT something you want to try yet.  (it
doesn't work because you didn't install all of the development
sources... but don't worry, you don't need them yet)  As far as your NIC
problem goes, I can probably help you there.

First thing:  Log in as root

Second:  switch to single user mode -> # init 1

third: Start YaST -> # yast

fourth:  go to System Adminstration and hit <enter>

fith: go to Integrate Hardware into System and hit <enter>

sixth: go to Configure Networking Device and hit <enter>

seventh: set it up as follows:
Network type: eth0 / Networking device type: NE 2000 PCI / NO module
options

Eigth: go to continue and hit <enter>

ninth: go back to the menu with Integrate Hardware and select Network
Configuration

tenth: on the first device, set it up as follows:
F5 - select Ethernet F3-select dhcp F4 - make it activated F10 - save
config

eleventh: back up to the menu with Integrate Hardware again

twelth: (this is the most important and least documented part- took me
30 min to find it)
go to Change configuration file" Scroll down to the "DHCLIENT" entry.
Hit F3 for change value.  type in "yes"

thirteenth: F10 to exit. Back out of YaST.

Fourteenth:  I'm not sure that you need to, but reboot just to make sure
-> shutdown -r now

It should come up working.  If it doesn't, email me direct
(brwebb at transmuto.com) and I'll call you and we can figure it out.

Ben