cable/dsl

Evan evanh23 at usa.net
Tue Jun 13 20:07:23 CDT 2000

been using SW Bell DSL since its debut
last auguest.  The setup is as follows
(for me anyway) i have my linux box setup
with the 10BasteT Kingston PCI NIC. the cable
runs directly from the nic into the Alcatel
DSL modem, works exactly like pluggin into a
LAN, uses DHCP to grab my IP address.  I have
seen a couple other SW Bell setups, and they
were using different DSL modems, but i believe
they work the same.  As far as connecting more
computers, i have a friend with a 3 node LAN.
He simply connected the HUB to the DSL modem,
DHCP gives all the computers their own unique IP's,
and while this isnt the best security setup, it is
the most painless way to do it ;) when i got mine
installed, the tech gave me the choice of whether
i wanted a PCI or ISA nic, and they also have the
option of putting an ATM card in your machine
(but i wouldnt reccomend, since i'd bet the ethernet
cards are a lot better supported)

Evan Hoff
evanh23 at usa.net

For-pay Internet distributed processing.
http://www.ProcessTree.com/?sponsor=24599