memory problem

Ben Webb brwebb at transmuto.com
Thu Jul 20 21:05:04 CDT 2000

Right.  Dave's problem, as I understood it, was that the BIOS only saw 32MB of memory.  In that
case, telling the kernel that there is 128 would cause it to attempt to access memory that has not
been addressed by the BIOS, and would thereby crash the kernel.  In your case the address space did
exist, the kernel just didn't recognize it by default.

>I had a compaq workstation with 128meg of ram.  Bios saw 128 meg but linux
would not see more than 64m, reguardless of what kind of memory or how I
arranged the simms in the box.  In the end I put in at the end of loadlin.exe
mem=128M

That took care of everything!

	Mike

"They that can give up liberty in order to obtain a little
                  -Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin R. Webb