Linuxfest

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Wed Jul 12 19:09:29 CDT 2000

As a member of KCLUG I just wanted to say thank you.  Thank you for coming
to the show and thank you for staying.  Most of all thanks for giving the
show a decent review and for posting the pictures.  I must have come by your
booth on Thurs. while you were out since I didn't see anyone at your booth.
Anyway, I have started checking your site for news in addition to Slashdot
so you were effective.

I did want to let you and your readers know that the shortcomings of the
show are not to be blamed on the local LUGs.  We at KCLUG spoke with the
promoter at one of our regular meetings and were assured that everything,
including advertising was being handled.  We were NEVER asked for help or
advise in planning a successful show.  He just said come to the show and
bring your friends.  The KULUA group invited him to one of their meetings
and he never showed.  Not to disparage the promoter in any way, I did enjoy
the show, I think this serves as an object lesson to us all that the LUGs
need to ensure that they are involved more in the Linux trade shows that
take place in their cities.

I hope that the failure of this one show does not discourage future
tech-related trade shows from occurring in the KC Metro area.  Our LUG,
after the initial shock, is more focused and driven than before.  This
setback for a future Linux show in KC has caused us to channel our efforts
in growing our numbers, planning more installfests and preparing to do our
own smaller community show next year.  We feel that if we set our goals more
realistically for next year and plan this ourselves, that we can expect more
success.

Thanks again for coming to Kansas City.

Brian Kelsay
KCLUG