Kepten! Veer Bean Skend!

Rick Palmer repalmer at sunflower.org
Tue Jul 11 16:55:37 CDT 2000

What do you get if you do an ifconfig?

Another sorta standard thing you could/should do is use static IPs on
the internal network so you aren't serving DHCP  to others.  Its the
biggest problem cable companies have now.   The same for samba and
netatalk.  At least until you're sure you are safely on the otherside
of a fire wall.

If you have X installed it is sometimes easier to config it from the
control-panel.  Type "control-panel" at the prompt.

My gut tells me you ran a PPTP script and its floating around in your
rc.d  files....  when you should be running it just like a
workstation on a LAN.  It looks like the PPTP thing is dying on boot
and might not be in your way anyways.  In that case......

You should also try these three rules.  If things are set up
correctly...they will make it go.

#ipchains -P forward DENY
#ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -j MASQ
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This is also a really handy page.  Has the rules to allow ports for
many apps through the fire wall.
http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/

rick

>All,
>

>I was able to get both NICs working... Well, the SMC and a Digital
>Etherworks 3
>I lied!!! I am now able to receive my IP address assignment from @HOME,
>and I am now serving out IP addresses (DHCP) to my workstations, but
>I am not relaying data packets to workstations and to ISP, I don't
>think. I can see that I have received a valid IP address from my ISP for eth1.
>I can also see that my workstations are receiving a valid IP address
>assignment
>from the DHCP Service running on the EDGE Firewall/router
>
>These are the errors I am getting on boot up:
>
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol
>register_ip_masq_prot_mod
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol ip_masq_get_dynaddr
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol ip_masq_unhash
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol ip_masq_hash
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol __ip_masq_set_expire
>/lib/modules//ipv4/ip_masq_pptp.o : unresolved symbol
>unregister_ip_masq_proto_mod
>
>It appears that the errors listed above is a IP forwarding
>configuration issue. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff McCright
>jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
>

>  ----------
>From: kclug at kclug.org
>To: kclug at kclug.org
>Cc: jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
>Subject: Re: kclug - Kepten! Veer Bean Skend!
>Date: Monday, July 10, 2000 9:58AM
>
>Did you append:
>
>ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1
>
>to your kernel boot line?
>
>Is your BIOS aware that it is supposed to reserve IRQ's 3 and 10 for
>ISA or, if the cards are PCI, that it is supposed to allow them to use
>the IRQ's?  (That's what got me for a while).
>
>I'll certainly be at the installfest.  Which symbol problems from dhcpd?
>Do you mean dhcpcd?
>
>Just think everybody:  Today is the day Tom gets home and checks his
>email =-]  To find that he got booted from the list...  And has hundreds
>of messages to himself...  Revenge!
>
>Regards,
>
>Tony
>

>Jeff McCright wrote:
>>
>>  I am attempting to run it, but it only sees one of my
>>  SMC 8216T nics(I have two) which are set with the
>>  following config:
>>  Eth0
>>  Base I/O 300
>>  IRQ 10
>>  MEM CC00
>>
>>  What is supposed to be ETH1 if detected:
>>  Base I/O 280
>>  IRQ 3
>>  MEM D000
>>
>>  If I remove the first adapter, then it locates the second.
>>  I have no resource conflicts with any other devices as I have
>>  disabled all Serial ports, Parallel ports, and have tried other
>>  resource settings for the adapters. Any ideas? Will anyone
> [...]

"How dare the government intervene to stifle innovation in
the computer industry! That's Microsoft's job, dammit."