Kepten! Veer Bean Skend!

Rick Palmer repalmer at sunflower.org
Mon Jul 10 16:56:40 CDT 2000

Unless something has changed you need to 2 different NIC cards.  It
will load the first then use the same module to load the second
stomping on the first.  I've had luck using a 3 Com and an NE2000 .
They can be the same brand as long as they don't use the same module.

rick

>I am attempting to run it, but it only sees one of my
>SMC 8216T nics(I have two) which are set with the
>following config:
>Eth0
>Base I/O 300
>IRQ 10
>MEM CC00
>
>What is supposed to be ETH1 if detected:
>Base I/O 280
>IRQ 3
>MEM D000
>
>If I remove the first adapter, then it locates the second.
>I have no resource conflicts with any other devices as I have
>disabled all Serial ports, Parallel ports, and have tried other
>resource settings for the adapters. Any ideas? Will anyone
>be at the InstallFest Tuesday, the 18th to help me out?
>
>Also getting the symbol probs from DHCPD...
>
>I think I followed the written instructions closely... Hmmmm..
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff McCright
>jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
>
>  ----------
>From: kclug at kclug.org
>To: kclug at kclug.org
>Cc: jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
>Subject: Re: kclug - Kepten! Veer Bean Skend!
>Date: Saturday, July 08, 2000 1:21PM
>
>I'll second that endorsement.  I'm running the Edge firewall on a
>486/66 with just a
>floppy drive and it works beautifully!
>
>David Carter
>decarter at worldnet.att.net
>
>Kendric Beachey wrote:
>
>>  On Thu, 06 Jul 2000, Monty J. Harder wrote:
>>  >  The URL to have your ports scanned is Gibson Research,
>>  >http://www.grc.com/, look for "Shields Up".
>>
>>  I'm trying this right now against my El Cheapo firewall, an old 486 running
>>  Edge firewall/router (see http://edge.fireplug.net for details).
>>I described
>>  it on the list a few weeks ago; check the archives.  (unrelated:
>>as I tested
>>  the URL above, I saw that FirePlug has been acquired by Lineo.
>>Cool, I guess.)
>>
>>  I'm using the stock, basic, out of the box configuration on Edge, with just
>>  enough config to let it know where the two network cards are.  GRC
>>is still in
>>  the process of scanning my ports, but it's taking quite a while,
>>because every
>>  scan has to keep waiting until it times out, because my li'l
>>firewall is taking
>>  the "talk to the hand" approach.  Here's a sample of the output
>>from the scan...
>>
>>  Port  Service  Status    Security Implications
>>   21     FTP    Stealth!  There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a
>>port (or even
>>                           any computer) exists at this IP address!
>>
>>   23   Telnet   Stealth!  There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a
>>port (or even
>>                           any computer) exists at this IP address!
>>
>>  etc. for the other ports it tried (25, 79, 80, 110, 113, 139, 143,
>>443).  (It's
>>  done scanning now.)

> [...]

"How dare the government intervene to stifle innovation in
the computer industry! That's Microsoft's job, dammit."