Now for something completely different

Jeff McCright jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
Thu Jul 6 14:46:20 CDT 2000

Dana,

MS-DOS assumes that the current (or active) directory
is in the search path. Unix/Linux makes no assumption.
When you type ./ you are telling the system to look into
the current directory and run the executable there. MS-DOS
automatically appends . to your search path. As to changing
the behaviour of Linux/Unix, I cannot help other than to offer
this relatively lame solution... add all your directories that
have your executables to your path. This could
reduce system performance and could cause you to run
executables with the same filename from other directories
if those other directoires appear in the path statement
before the current directory. Maybe someone else has
a fix for this...

Thanks,

Jeff McCright
jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com