BLOCK TOM MARGRAVE PLEASE]

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Tue Jul 4 16:53:53 CDT 2000

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:18:08 -0500 Lowell <lowell at kc.rr.com> writes:

> > back to the list.  If the reply to is NOT changed any replies
> would
> > only go to the original poster (including auto-responders).

> Wouldn't that shoot threads in the head?

  Yep.  The default reply for mail from a list server should be the list.
 In reality, it isn't the Reply-To that's being munged, it's the From.
The above quote did =not= come to me from Lowell, it came from the list
server.  If I wish to reply, that's where it should go.  If I want to
send Lowell a personal note, I have to cut-n-paste that Iddress above
into the To: pane.   Boy is that hard.

  However, I'd set up the list server to put the list name in brackets
[KCLUG] because that's a fairly standard indicator of list mail, and it
makes it easier for autoresponders to be programmed not to respond to
list traffic.  It's =also= a good idea for an autoresponder to keep track
of the addresses it's sent a message to, and =not= repeat.  I put the
responsibility for this fiasco squarely on the shoulders of the person
who told his computer to send out messages, =even= in response to stuff
apparently from itself!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.