Anyone want to borrow any Linux installation CDs?

Ripcrd6 ripcrd6 at worldinter.net
Mon Jan 31 16:22:19 CST 2000

If you are sure that your modem is not a Win modem, then you will have to
do a few things.   Do you have jumpers on the modem?   If so, then they are
probably set to PnP.   PnP has not worked well for me under Linux, although
others have had better luck.   I just set the jumpers to a specific IRQ and
I/O address and then set that up in each OS.   Also have to make sure that
the BIOS recognizes it too.   Modems are notoriously hard to configure.

Anyway, set the jumpers and see if Windows will let the modem dial out.  If
not then the BIOS probably has the wrong memory address or is set to PnP
only.   Anyway, get your Windows working then go into Linux and at the
command line issue the line: setserial -b /dev/ttyS2 IRQ 11   Where the 2
is the Linux version of the DOS Com 1 and the IRQ is what you have set your
modem to.   Also see 'man setserial'  for more info or email me for a
pointer to the spot in the Linux Doc Project where I got this info.

After the above is done you can log into KDE and launch kppp from the K
menu.  Then hit the setup button.   If you need more help email me or bring
your box to the meeting Wed.

Brian
Former Y2K Flunky
Sign the Linux Driver Petition