Sniffing the serial port?

Mike Coleman mkc at kc.net
Wed Jan 19 02:52:51 CST 2000

Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> writes:
> Hmm -- I'm interested in more serial port projects, but I'm wondering what
> exactly is going down the pipe from some of my software to the various
> devices I have.  On of them is a Sharp SE-300 PDA -- which I love, but
> unfortunately it doesn't have any support on the Windows platform . . . let
> alone te Linux one.  Is there a clever way of sniffing what info is being
> sent down the COM port?
>
> Hmm ?

I've thought about this a little.  I wonder if it would be possible to set up
a PC in the middle running some sort of pass-through/trace program.  This
seems like it ought to work if they're not playing too many non-standard
tricks with the serial protocol.

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.