LinuxFest... and Tommie Giles

Randy Reames randy at pilgrimpage.com
Sun Jan 2 07:40:43 CST 2000

Chris Midkiff wrote:

> I'd love to help out with installs..  At the conference, or in some organized
> manner afterwards.  Anything I can do to promote GNU/Linux.  I'm familiar
> enough with RH and it's variants to get just about any standard hardware

I could possibly help out with installs also. I've done countless
installs from RH 5.1 to Corel Linux. Mostly with freaky/old hardware.
Anyone compiled kernel 2.3.xx yet?

> running.  Anyone here play with Mandrake?  Their new beta installer is way
> cool...

I run Mandrake 6.1. I've read about 7.0. Is the graphical install like
RH 6.1? How stable is the beta? Did they get the DHCP problem fixed?

> WinLinux2K?  They run from a fat partition, and you can config your own
> hardware and so forth.  I have never tried the CD based version of DemoLinux,

Demolinux is pretty much just that for demo. It uses standard svga
drivers and a basic kde. I believe it sets up a virtual drive/partition
for read/write files. I wouldn't use it is as a home os. It is just cool
to have around to show people Linx without installing anything on their
machine.

> but I don't know how you would ever get the system configured correctly without
> saving anything.  PhatLinux is particularly cool, simply unzip the download
> into a directory in your Winblows machine, and point a shortcut to it.  No
> partitioning or boot manager required. Try it at www.phatlinux.com
> (Warning...  180mb Download)

Mandrake comes with lnx4win which also installs into a windows
partition, Corel linux can also do the same and it puts an icon on the
windows desktop, just dbl click and Corel linux takes over.

--

 -o)  Randy Reames   Web Developer/System Administrator
 /\  PilgrimPage    http://www.pilgrimpage.com
__V  785-841-1221   mailto:randy at pilgrimpage.com