X stops responding

Randy Rathbun randy at middlewest.com
Mon Feb 21 17:06:03 CST 2000

I am encountering a problem with X and it is really annoying me to no end,
so it is time for me to ask my question since I have not been able to find
anything in the docs about this.

When I am in X and I insert my PCMCIA network card in the laptop, X stops
letting me start new apps. Any existing apps that are running when I put
the card in continue to work, but I am not able to launch anything new. I
am guessing that what is happening is that when the card is inserted and
the IP address gets plugged in, X suddenly goes bonkers because it is not
logging onto the new IP - which it should still be using the ip it was
using to begin with, but it is like it suddenly tries to start using the
new IP, and hence it stops responding. Or, that is my theory anyway.

So, my question is this: how do I fix it and am I right in my assumption
that this is what is happening?

Randy