Linux ready for Primetime?

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Sun Feb 20 00:17:14 CST 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Dana wrote:

> But is being on the average user's desktop the goal?
> What if it remains a hackers'/hobbiests' operating system?
> Is that so bad?

  Open Source *NIX is what you make of it, the goal is up to you. :)

> Actually, I do believe that linux or its' children will become
> the dominant operating system some day.  But it will not be
> developed in the US.  The third world will lead the way for
> the basic reason that they cannot afford to pay M$ for their
> operating system and software and so they have a greater
> incentive to develop Linux than the US does.
>
> Red Flag Linux if it doesn't exist now will certainly exist someday.

  That's an interesting thought, and I have to admit after I thought about
it for awhile I realized there is a lot of non-US development going on (
i.e. GNOME, Alan Cox, etc ).  However, I'm not sure that "third world"
countries will lead the way in the desktop area, if for nothing less than
difference in numbers of desktops in non-third world countries.

  Just my 2 cents...