[KULUA EVENT] KULUA vs Win2k -- UPDATE (fwd)

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Feb 17 22:54:36 CST 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Randy Rathbun wrote:

> I think you are right in some ways, but I think you are wrong too - not
> that that is a bad thing! :)

  And I think you're wrong as well...

> The folks who are going to be there tonight are most likely going to be IT
> pros... not mom and pop and the kids - mainly because the weather is going
> to be poor, but also because I don't know of many 11 year olds who want to
> see a real life creation of the 1984 Macintosh commercial.
>
> I do think that with all the info we are going to hand out tonight - ie,
> the meeting invites, etc, that all us linux meeting goers might think a bit
> about having a dog and pony show for the next meeting or two. Bring your
> hardware in and put on a demo for all to see. Knock our socks off. We all
> know that Linux is great for playing MP3s (well, I do anyway) but how about
> someone demoing some mp3 stuff? Or if you have a Lego mindstorm, bring that
> in!  THAT is what people want to see - not a pretty desktop that makes
> silly noises and has a music score written by Brian Eno.

  The average user is VERY important to the Linux community, however
without big business taking an interest ( i.e. Dell, IBM, etc ) things
will go nowhere fast.  No one cares if Linux can run MP3z or Lego
Mindstorm, they care if it can run their businesses e-mail and web pages.

  Where big business and educational instituions go is where the desktop
goes.