[KULUA EVENT] KULUA vs Win2k -- UPDATE (fwd)

Randy Rathbun randy at middlewest.com
Thu Feb 17 21:44:58 CST 2000

I think you are right in some ways, but I think you are wrong too - not
that that is a bad thing! :)

The folks who are going to be there tonight are most likely going to be IT
pros... not mom and pop and the kids - mainly because the weather is going
to be poor, but also because I don't know of many 11 year olds who want to
see a real life creation of the 1984 Macintosh commercial.

I do think that with all the info we are going to hand out tonight - ie,
the meeting invites, etc, that all us linux meeting goers might think a bit
about having a dog and pony show for the next meeting or two. Bring your
hardware in and put on a demo for all to see. Knock our socks off. We all
know that Linux is great for playing MP3s (well, I do anyway) but how about
someone demoing some mp3 stuff? Or if you have a Lego mindstorm, bring that
in!  THAT is what people want to see - not a pretty desktop that makes
silly noises and has a music score written by Brian Eno.

I plan on bringing my laptop tonight. It has nada installed on it (idiot me
did not put Star Office on it like I wanted to) but I did manage to copy
the contents of a mp3.com sampler disc onto it. There are some media files
and things like that so we can show that it is not just windows that will
let you have fun.  I am trying to find some mpegs too... not having a lot
of luck there.

.