Printing questions

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Wed Feb 16 08:41:43 CST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Sam Clippinger wrote:

> When last we left our heroes, Gene  E. Dascher had just said:
> > 1.	Has anyone here had any luck getting an HP Deskjet 722C to work with
> > Linux?  I bought one in my stupid days and now am regretting it.  Can anyone
> > suggest an inexpensive, good quality color inkjet to use with Linux?
>
> HP generally makes good stuff -- I've never personally heard of any of
> their products being "Winprinters".  Others here may be able to
> correct me on that.

Welp, this is an easy one.  When you bought your printer, it probably said
something like "Optimized for Microsoft Windows".  Yep, you guessed it,
your printer is a Winprinter.

How do I know this?  BY THE POWER OF THE INTERNET.  Heh.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd04723.html#P409_4800

Notice that it doesn't list MacOS or MS-DOS (unless thru Winders) as
supported OSes.  This means "WinPrinter".

Sorry, but for the near future your printer is junk.  Worse yet, the model
that would work with Linux probably would have only cost you $20 more.

Don't feel too bad -- many, many people bought these printers thinking "a
printer is a printer".

Jeffrey

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer            | "If somebody doesn't flush a toilet |
| Sprint - Systems Management   |  around here, I get an email from   |
                                |  -- Steve Jobs                      |
                                |  On customer complaints             |