Meeting Tonight 02-02-00

Dustin Decker dustind at zandura.net
Wed Feb 2 21:11:18 CST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Bradley Miller wrote:

> At 01:26 PM 2/2/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >hrm...  the poll on www.kclug.org indicates that 80.5% of those polled
> >prefer to meet on Sunday.
>
> The poll didn't indicate that not too long ago . . . only 76 people have
> voted for a number of meetings but over 500 voted for another day -- 80% on
> a Sunday?  Something smells fishy -- I did some testing and you can easily
> run the poll around to say whatever you want it to.   I was under the
> impression that it was the first Wed. of the month and I've been planning
> so far to go to it . . . works out nicely for me.
>
> First nobody wants to come to the plate on the web site -- now we're at the
> exact same place for a meeting time/place.   Ugh.  Is there a Microsoft
> employee at work in here?  (grin)

Well, this is a tough call isn' it?  Obviously with nearly 3000 votes
showing, the QDPoll code leaves a little to be desired.  I would suggest
something more along the lines of the slashdot poll code - I believe it's
available.  (It doesn't depend on cookies or the like to prevent this sort
of activity, but logs IP addresses I believe.)

Since I've decided to delurk and critique hard, let's take the gloves off
for a moment.

It it's a Linux User Group, then obviously Front Page has to go.  At the
very least, the first page should have a title like "KC Linux Users Group"
or some such, instead of "New Page 1".  As the site stands now, it's a
pimple on the ass of Linux users in the Kansas City area.  If KCLUG is to
be considered savvy or cluefull at all, the webmaster needs to get his
poo-poo together.

Next, the "Meeting information" page has this problem:
"AMC's offices are located in the history Kansas City Power & Light
building at 14th and Baltimore.  It is two blocks east of Bartle Hall."

I would suggest the word "historic" over "history" if this sentance is to
make any sense whatsoever.

A final recommendation is the removal of the button labelled "Linux Links"
if it's not going to actually link to anything.

I guess that's really about $.04 worth isn't it?
Dustin