big oops!

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Tue Dec 19 15:51:54 CST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, mike neuliep wrote:

> Jim,
>
> My logrotate.conf does indeed have the "include /etc/logrotate.d" but there
> isn't anything pertaining to apache in there either.  Does apache automagically
> have its own log rotate program perhaps?

It can.  Apache's TransferLog, CustomLog and ErrorLog directives allow you
to log to a pipe*.  The Apache distribution comes with a simple utility
called "rotatelogs" that can be placed at the other end of the pipe, which
will cycle the the logs periodically.  I've never used it, so I can't
comment on how well it works.

Most of the web servers I run pipe their log output to an enhanced version
of rotatelogs called "cronolog".  It writes to separate log files named
according to a strftime-formatted template.  For example, all of
yesterday's accesses to www.ethereal.com are in a file called
"access.20001218".  Cronolog can be found at
http://www.ford-mason.co.uk/resources/cronolog/ .

[*] It's wacky functionality like this that reinforces my opinion that

    (Apache == GOOD && Netscape Enterprise Server == BAD)