linksys

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Mon Dec 18 15:05:49 CST 2000

Hello,

I have a similar setup, I think the problem might lie in the way you have
the physical connections set up.  "One that is running windows has a cable
modem."  This would not be correct.  The Linksys  router has 4 "Switch"
ports, and one WAN port. (It may be labeled Internet, I can't remember).
Plug the Cable Modem into the WAN link port, and plug your other PC's (Linux
and Windows) into the switch ports.  If your windows machines are set up to
use DHCP, they should retrieve all of the settings they need from the
Linksys box's DHCP Server.

The linux boxes will need to be set up to use DHCP as well.  I'm not
familiar with suse, so I'm not sure what tools you have to work with.  Under
Redhat, you would simply edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
file.  Format should look something like the following:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
USERCTL=no

Perhaps someone with more direct info regarding suse might help out?

Chris Midkiff
DataCapture Technologies
cmidkiff at dctkc.com