1 or 2 processors?

Prof. Jerry Place place at cstp.umkc.edu
Fri Dec 8 03:16:48 CST 2000

   I've been running a dual-SMP Linux system for over two years.  I have
older PII 350 MHz processors.  I would not do SMP again for a
workstation.  It's just too hard to get things to work together well and
with an 850 MHz or 1 GHz processor, the complexity of SMP is really not
worth it and I do a great deal of computationally intense work with
simulation and analytic models.  I'm currently running 2.2.12 and I
understand that the 2.4 kernels are much more efficient in SMP mode.
My Linux distribution is Caldera's 2.3.

   My home system is a 750 MHz with 384 Mb memory and a 32 Gb IDE drive
and it's all I'll ever need.  I'd spend the premium you'd pay for a good
SMP board on more memory.  If you do decide to get an SMP system, use
great care in choosing the board.  Some are much better than others.
Sorry, but I don't have any URL's to pass on but there has been a great
deal of analysis done about SMP Linux systems and a simple net search on
SMP Linux should point you in the right direction.  Do your homework
thoroughly before you buy.

					-- Jerry Place
					-- CSTP