Software modems

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Aug 18 19:52:23 CDT 2000

Walter,

Well, there is a work-in-progress at http://www.linmodems.org/

>From the front page:

<quote>
Id Software's John Carmack has posited that a linmodem may be able to
have lower latency than a controller-ful modem. This is an issue of great
importance to real-time gamers, as the slightest decrease in latency
translates into a higher score.

Russ Nelson writes: A lot of people claim that a Winmodem has no place in
a Linux box. I disagree. There are many applications for a Winmodem if you
stop thinking of it as a modem, and start thinking of it as a telephone
interface:

Think telephone emulation (put the audio card into full duplex, and talk
   to the linmodem with it).
Think telephone with a backspace key (use the linmodem to dial for you).
Think smart telephone: "That line is busy. Do you want me to retry in five
   minutes?"
Think "voice dialling".
Think "soft pbx". Equip enough machines in an office for all the outside
   lines. Then do IP telephone inter-office, and go to a linmodem when you
   need an outside line.
Think answering machine.
Think pager interface. Your answering machine takes the call, phones your
   pager company and pages you).
Think "contact database with integral dialler, and answering machine
   recognition".
Think "call recording with no off-hook click".
Think message detail recorder (basically a record of all time spent on
   the phone. Great for billing.
</quote>

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net
If Al Gore invented the internet, why is it named after George W. Bush?