DSL factoids

Walter Dunz Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Mon Apr 24 04:45:36 CDT 2000

The previous post on DSL technology have been very accurate.  I think the
level of detail provided has been very enlightening.  Most of what has been
posted here matches what I knew coming from 8 years at Sprint and a bunch of
years bumming around with the switch techs at various companies and the back
room of my ISP.  (These guys live and breath this stuff so if you want to have
a conversation with 'em, ya gotta learn fast!)One thing I have learned from
the techs, they tend to think in modules and the description they gave you may
be more-or-less schematically correct, but it gives you a functional
understanding of the process without taking a week to teach all the basics.
Besides, most people don't realize just how much some of us penguinistas enjoy
digging into and learning the technology!Dave Parker <dlparker at dlpinc.com>
wrote:> That very well may be the way it works in SWBT areas, and it > may
very well be that way here in this particular Sprint > territory (the old
United Telephone, Sprint/United, etc.), too.> I'll check with my ISP again,
but I understood him to say that> DSL connections that THEY offer are
dedicated pairs from the > customer premises to the CO to the ISP.  I'm not
very knowledgeable> about this stuff, but the only thing Sprint local
furnishes here> in regards to my DSL connection is the wire and the technician
> who hooks it up.  I don't even rent the line, the ISP does that.> > Aaron
wrote:> > > > For those of you who care, here's how it works...  This is
specific to ADSL, SDSL> > works kind of the same way but not exactly, AND,
this is just a quick rundown of the> > Kansas City area...> > > > Packets flow
from your house via your phone lines (the same phone lines you talk on,> >
just a different frequency) to the Central Office of Southwestern Bell (the
CO).> > There is basically a large ring strung between the central offices
(last time I> > checked this was a DS3 (45MB), but could have been upgraded by
now) that links all> > of them together.  Your ISP then buys bandwidth from
SWB (normally another DS3)> > specifically to carry DSL traffic, which is
plugged into a router at thier location.> -- > Dave Parker/DLP, Inc.
dlparker at dlpinc.com    www.dlpinc.com> > > > >