DSL factoids

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Fri Apr 21 23:26:55 CDT 2000

For those of you who care, here's how it works...  This is specific to ADSL, SDSL
works kind of the same way but not exactly, AND, this is just a quick rundown of the
Kansas City area...

Packets flow from your house via your phone lines (the same phone lines you talk on,
just a different frequency) to the Central Office of Southwestern Bell (the CO).
There is basically a large ring strung between the central offices (last time I
checked this was a DS3 (45MB), but could have been upgraded by now) that links all
of them together.  Your ISP then buys bandwidth from SWB (normally another DS3)
specifically to carry DSL traffic, which is plugged into a router at thier location.